Freelance Role Title: Interim Operational Manager
Salary: £32,000 pro rata 3 days per week (£1,600 per month)
Accountable to: Board of Directors
Start Date: 4th September 2017
Termination: 31st March 2018
Base: Hackney Office.
About Hands Inc
Hands Inc's mission is to inspire health and wellbeing. We provide innovative person centred health activities to support individuals and front line services wanting to enhance their quality of life. These include complementary therapies services for the frail and these with long-term complex health issues, exercise classes, stress awareness classes and our menopause project.
Our key aims are to:
- Tackle health inequalities by improving access to holistic health services
- Empower individuals, groups and organisations to take proactive and sustainable steps towards a healthy constitution
- Raise awareness and encourage debate about holistic health options and their intrinsic benefits
- Forge collaborative partnerships with health professionals and organisations to create broader and integrated health options
- Deliver a quality standard of care by constantly evaluating and monitoring our services
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Manger of Hands Inc is responsible for the operation, administration, management and development of the charity. For ensuring that all projects and programmes are run efficiently and effectively within designated budgets and meet identified targets/aims; that staff are successful in performing their designated roles and responsibilities and that the Board of Trustees are fully informed at all times. The manager also has lead responsibility for funding and financial management, for ensuring the sustainability of the charity and for the development and maintenance of positive relationships with funders, partners and stakeholders. There may also be opportunity to input in the delivery of specified projects, where skills are relevant.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with and be accountable to the Board of Trustees and/or duly elected representative of the same for all aspects of the organisation and administration of Hands Inc; setting agenda, preparing papers, reports and feedback on all aspects of the work of the charity for regular and extraordinary Trustee meetings.
- Participate in setting and developing Hands Inc vision, mission statement, aims and objectives (both long term and short term), organisational systems, policies and procedures in collaboration with the Board of Trustees; preparing for consideration, with support documentation, matters for development, review and decision by the Board of Trustees and implement the Board's decision(s) as required.
- Prepare and present overall organisation and individual project budget information for monitoring and discussion at Trustee meetings.
- Research funding opportunities and bring new financial initiatives to the attention of the Board for discussion and decision.
- Participate actively in regular supervision meetings with a nominated member of the Board of Trustees.
- Attend all relevant local and national meetings; maintain an online and social media presence, prepare and deliver presentations, publications and information in order to develop and maintain strong links with the voluntary sector, funders,partners, stakeholders and the local community and to publicise Hands Inc activities.
- Administer all operations; direct, organise and manage all staff, projects and programmes being run by Hands Inc.
- In conjunction with the Trustees, recruit and appoint staff and therapists as require by the organisation and specific projects/programmes, ensure relevant qualifications, affiliations to professional bodies, DBS checks and references are in place.
- Maintain operations and services standards by effective monitoring and by implementing agreed supervision, appraisal and staff development policies.
- Have lead responsibility to ensure that all Hands Inc services are designed and delivered to inspire and meet the needs of varying stakeholders including service users, partners and funders. Where relevant skills set exist there may be the opportunity to deliver on relevant programmes and activities.
- Ensure that financial and human resources for all programmes are sufficient to reflect service and programmes priorities and expectations.
- Maintain oversight of project/programme delivery and ensure that all reports, returns and research papers required by funders/work partners are completed by set deadlines and to a high standard.
- Ensure that budget planning processes are an integral part of the overall service planning process and that all programmes have prepared annual programme budgets.
- Undertake all routine financial management tasks; ensuring completion of annual
financial and other returns within proscribed deadlines, the storage of financial records in accordance with legislation and liaison with appointed Accountants.
- Research sources of funding to sustain projects/programmes and develop new initiatives and complete all funding applications within required timelines.
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with funding partners, other agencies and community groups and endeavour to achieve the support of the community as a whole.
- Keep abreast of developments within other similar services and changes in the health and wellbeing sector (both locally and nationally) and monitor the community, social changes and legislation that may affect the running of Hands Inc and its programmes and bring pertinent matters to the attention of the Board.
- Assure continuing self-development through active participation in appropriate training programmes, professional supervision, formal appraisal processes and other means of self-improvement.
General Duties will include:
- A commitment to working within an Equality & Diversity framework, including the Race Relations (Amendment) Act and The Single Equalities Act
- Working within confidentiality guidelines and the Data Protection Act
- A commitment to promoting the use of complementary therapy and holistic health activities to enhance wellbeing
- A commitment to develop and maintain best practice in the execution of all duties and of the company as a whole, and a commitment to continuous professional development
- Comply with and promote, Hands Inc’s Vision, Mission Statement, Aims and Objectives, organisational systems, policies and procedures
- In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, to take responsibility for your own health and safety at work and that of any staff, service users or visitors you are working with, and to report any risks or potential hazards to the Health and Safety Representative, or Project Manager as soon as practicable
- To attend, and participate in, supervision, appraisal meetings and appropriate internal and external training courses as approved by the Trustees
- To be administratively self-servicing, working with Hands Inc IT systems; using, maintaining (and improving where possible) Hands Inc filing, post and communication systems; ordering and maintaining supplies and consumables
- Responding to customer enquiries and complaints; acting as the first point of contact for specified programmes/projects
- Demonstration of judgement, tact, flexibility, loyalty and commitment to Hands Inc.
- To cover the work of colleagues during periods of planned and unplanned absences as appropriate
- The post holder will be expected to carry out any other reasonable duties in line with the post and at the direction of the Trustees
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience of working within healthcare/voluntary sectors or related fields
- Proven experience in leading and managing an organisation, projects and staff teams
- Proven experience in financial management, fundraising and writing funding
- Good administration, literacy, numeracy and financial skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, professionally and tactfully at different levels and to different audiences, both orally and in writing without supervision
- Attention to detail
- Ability to coordinate and prioritise workload
- Confident attitude to using computers and IT issues in general
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word, Access and Excel software packages, using email and the internet
- Confident using different communication technologies
Essential Personal Qualities:
- Excellent inspirational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well with different communities, abilities and stakeholders
- Good presentation skills
- Team player, but also able to work under own initiative and unsupervised;
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work effectively in an environment that can sometime be pressurised
- Experience of working with women’s issues and/or wellbeing
- Experience of research development and analysis
- Group work facilitation
- Experience of working with databases
- Experience of developing social media audiences
- Experience of working in the voluntary or community or health sector
Equality and Diversity:
- An understanding of and commitment to equalities and diversity opportunities, including the Race Relations Amendment Act and The Singles Equalities Act, as well as practical ideas for the implementation of these through the duties of this post.
- Not discriminate against any individual or group on grounds of age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability or race.
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues and concerns of voluntary and community organisations
- A commitment to promoting holistic health activities to enhance wellbeing
- A commitment to enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of oneself and of the charity as a whole, and a commitment to continuous professional development
- To develop best practice in the execution of duties
- Work with a flexible approach and be prepared to work occasional unsociable hours
Taxation & Indemnity
As a freelancer you are an independent, self-employed contractor. You are fully responsible for making arrangements and paying your own tax and National Insurance or similar liabilities or contributions in respect of the fees and against all liability for the same and any costs, claims or expenses including interest and penalties.
Hands Inc strongly advises you to obtain your own professional indemnity insurance and legal and taxation advice. The tax-free allowance for 2017-18 is £11,500.