Job title: Legal Equality Programme Officer
Closing Date: 19 January 2018
Organisation: Equality Now
The Program Officer will report directly to the Legal Equality Program Manager and will work closely with, and report on activities to, the Regional Director for Europe. S/he will also work with program, development and communications staff across all offices.
More details are available at https://www.equalitynow.org/program-officer-legal-equality
Founded in 1992, Equality Now is an international human rights organization dedicated to ensuring that women and girls around the world can live their lives free from violence and discrimination. Combining grassroots activism with international, regional and national legal advocacy, we envision a world in which women and men have equal rights under the law and full enjoyment of those rights. Our issue areas encompass Legal Equality, Justice for Girls, and Ending Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), Sex Trafficking and Sexual Violence.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Legal Equality Program Manager and with input from the Regional Director, shape and implement Equality Now’s programme to promote equality in the law, with a particular focus on Europe.
- Develop Equality Now Action campaigns targeting governments and policymakers on the elimination of sex discrimination in the law and actively move forward existing campaigns with a particular focus on Europe.
- Draft high-quality technical submissions to public consultations (eg on draft laws, policy, etc) and human rights treaty bodies and mechanisms (eg UN CEDAW Committee).
- Communicate regularly with and engage new civil society partners predominantly from Europe, but also the Caucasus and Central Asia as required, to share information, seek their input and call for joint action.
- Engage, including through correspondence and meetings, with relevant government officials and United Nations agencies on active campaigns promoting legal equality in Europe and globally and leverage the support of global and regional actors based in Europe for Equality Now’s global campaigns.
- Develop and maintain close ties with a broad range of actors across Europe and familiarity with critical issues threatening women’s rights with the aim of lending urgent support as agreed.
- Coordinate and work closely with all other teams, particularly End Harmful Practices, as guided by the Legal Equality Program Manager. Ensure clear and consistent communication and coordination with relevant Program Managers and their teams particularly in relation to regional emerging trends or opportunities in relation to their program goals.
- Represent Equality Now in coalitions and at conferences and meetings.
- Assist in coordinating legal equality work, including regular team calls and minutes, updates for Staff and the Board of Directors, etc.
- Engage with media on women’s equality issues.
Desired skills and Experience
- Law Degree
- 2+ years working on women’s rights, violence against women or similar issues
- Fluent English required and working knowledge of Russian, French, Spanish or Arabic preferred
- Knowledge of international and regional human rights framework and relevant human rights mechanisms/instruments
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Ability to represent Equality Now in meetings with government officials and others
- Attention to detail
- Previous experience developing written materials (analyses, reports, talking points, etc)
- Experience in public speaking (eg presenting at conferences) and engaging with the media (eg giving interviews)
- Proven ability to work as part of a diverse and remote team
- Ability to effectively work with a diverse range of partners and colleagues
Benefits and Compensation
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits package.
Application is by CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Legal Equality - Europe PO" in the subject line. This position is only available to those who have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
Deadline: 19 January 2018
Equality Now provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, veteran status or disability.